Thanksgiving Day Tips for Emergency Prevention
Follow these tips to make sure this doesn't happen when celebrating your Thanksgiving
Did you know that Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas, and Christmas Eve? We want you to enjoy these days with your loved ones, so here are a few safety tips for when you are cooking that scrumptious meal.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids or toys.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Be especially aware when Deep Frying a turkey, people tend to put too much oil in which causes overflow and spreads to the open flame causing a mass fireball. Also putting in a frozen or very wet bird can cause major problems which they call B.L.E.V.E which stands for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion.
- Always use fryer outside away from any structure
- Keep oil under 350 degrees, the hotter the oil the more combustible it is
- Don’t overfill the pot with oil
- Thoroughly defrost turkey(24 hours for every 10 pounds the turkey weighs)
- Turn off flame before putting turkey in
- Keep grease fire approved extinguisher on hand
- Lower turkey into pot slowly
If by unfortunate event you have an emergency this Holiday Season please know your SERVPRO of Hayward is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on Holidays. Contact us if need be at (715)634-0699 and we will be there to help. Happy Holidays!
Hayward Area Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Hayward will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today –715-634-0699
Restoring Your Hayward Area Commercial Property After a Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Hayward Area commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Hayward
SERVPRO of Hayward specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- IICRC Certified Firm
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
Does Your Hayward Home Have a Mold Problem?
In Hayward mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 715-634-0699
Is your property accurately inventoried?
Have you had a break in or vandalism to your property? Have you took inventory of the contents of your home recently? Did you know by taking accurate inventory helps keep costs low and reduces job completion time? This simply can be done by taking photos or video. There are also many free forms on the web where you can go room-by-room and create an inventory. If this unfortunate event of vandalism happens to you, we at SERVPRO of Hayward is here, by contacting us at (715)63-0699. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are recognized as leaders at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage. They also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods and human or animal waste. Also if there has been an accident, trauma, crime, or death trained SERVPRO Franchise Technicians can remove and dispose of biohazardous substances according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations. We at SERVPRO of Hayward hopes this unfortunate event never happens, but if it arises give us a call at (715)634-0699
Fall can be a beautiful time of year, but can also lead to a lot of work for homeowners. The simple picking up of leaves can be a daunting task when they never stop falling. Here are a few tips to get your home and property ready for the upcoming cool air and soon to be winter weather. If an emergency does arise SERVPRO of Hayward is here to help.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 715-634-0699
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Once most of the leaves have fallen, clean out gutters and downspouts (hire a helper if you are not comfortable on a ladder). Clogged gutters during rainstorms can cause water to pool and damage your roof or siding.
- Make exterior repairs. Take a walk around your property, looking for signs of damage to the roof, siding and foundation. If you spot anything that needs repair, schedule it before winter weather hits.
- Seal gaps where critters could enter. Mice need only a tiny gap to be able to sneak into your house and raid your pantry — and with colder weather coming, all of the little critters out there will be looking for warm places to make a home. Fill small holes and cover any larger gaps securely with heavy-duty hardware cloth to keep the wildlife outdoors.
By doing these simple maintenance tips you can possible prevent water damage, or fire to your home. SERVPRO of Hayward specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our Crew
SERVPRO Teams were out for Hurricane Irma cleanup
Chris Nelson, Mike Hartung, Andrew Mathews, and Jake Erickson all of SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties heading to Florida
Our SERVPRO Production Manager Chris Nelson of SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties headed out to Florida for Hurricane Irma cleanup and restoration. Chris, along with his Fire and Water Damage Technicians, Mike Hartung, Andrew Mathews, and Jake Erickson all of SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties all put in an excellent communication process, and professional service to the below customer. The customer left an awesome message(below) for our franchise owner Andrea Hanestad which also owns SERVPRO of Hayward location.
I completed the customer survey, but I also wanted to follow up with a personal email.
We had waited almost a week to get a return call from another restoration company. When I called SERVPRO, I received a call back the next day. It was worth waiting for Chris and his crew to drive to Florida.
Mike, Jake, and Andy were the BEST. Professionally dressed, polite and experts in their field. The removal of flood damaged drywall, cabinets, and appliances were done in a "surgical" manner. When they came back and removed the contents from the yard, it looked like nothing had been placed there.
For the most part, we are not use to this level of quality work by some of our contracted providers. Chris was an excellent communicator and kept me up to date what was going to happen and when they would be returning for their equipment. Any time that was given, the "guys" arrived at the given time.
Thank you for sending your crew to Florida to help us when we needed it the most. If you would also thank their families who made the sacrifice of being without a husband, father or son.
St. Augustine, FL
SERVPRO ofHayward specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit the Hayward area, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (715)634-0699
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Hayward is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 715-634-0699
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Hayward has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Hayward
SERVPRO of Hayward specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Water Backup/ Sewer Backup... Are you covered?
The drain is backing up, and then going back down the drain.
If this question leaves you in doubt, it might be a good idea to confirm that you are covered for such a loss with your insurance agent. The fact is, most unendorsed homeowner's insurance policies DO NOT provide coverage for Water Backup & Sewer Back up.
Water Backup & Sewer Backup claims are one of the more common insurance claims on a homeowner's policy and can be one of the most costly as well. Types of losses we are referring to are as follows:
- Backup of a sewer or drain
- Over flow or discharge of a sump
- Sump failure
Even if you have an unfinished basement, you should STRONGLY consider the endorsement as losses can add up quickly when the water is rising. Water backups not only cause damage that is difficult and expensive to repair but also can create health hazards.
Call your agent today to discuss your policy.
Tips for trying to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Let a faucet drip that has a supply pipe running along an outside wall. You do not need a strong flow, just enough to keep the water flowing. Flowing water freezes slower than standing water in a pipe.
- Do not turn your heat down during windy cold days. The cooling down period allows the cold to penetrate walls before it comes into your house. The pipes are exposed to this cold air. Hot water heat is more prone to freezing due to the hot water in the heating lines. Hot water will freeze faster than cold or room temperature water.
- Leave cabinet doors under sinks that face outside walls open. These areas are not generally heated but do receive the cold air coming in through walls. This will help prevent froze water supply and waste piping.
- Insulate walls where piping runs. Opening walls and checking is not always practical. However checking for insulation when walls are open for repairs or remodeling is a great idea.
- Keep garage doors closed when not going in or out. The cold air will freeze pipes exposed to garage walls. These walls are not always insulated as well as outside walls.
- Shut off water to outside faucets. Leaking outside faucets and piping to them are caused by freezing over the winter. We replace many outside faucets and piping in the spring due to freezing.
- Have a neighbor, relative or friend check on your house when you go out of town. Total house freeze ups that require major repair result from homes that the heat goes out and the house gets down below 32 degrees. All the plumbing freezes including toilets, faucets etc. This could amount to costs well over $10,000.00.