Fire Safety with the Kickoff of Summer Aproaching
As Memorial Day is a day that we honor our fallen heroes that have sacrificed their lives for our freedom by serving in the military, some look at is an unofficial kick-off to the summer months.
With grilling and campfires, a staple as families gather this weekend we at SERVPRO of Hayward want you to do this as safely as possible. Here are some campfire and grilling safety tips.
Campfire safety tips from Smokey the Bear and eekwi.org
- Dig a small pit away from overhanging branches. (Most parks have campfire pits ready and waiting for you.)
- Circle the pit with rocks or be sure it already has a metal fire ring.
- Clear a five-foot area around the pit down to the soil.
- Keep a bucket of water and a shovel nearby.
- Stack extra wood upwind and away from the fire.
- After lighting, do not discard the match until it is cold.
- Never leave a campfire unattended, not even for a minute.
And Grilling tips from NFPA.org
1. Have grill far away from home or building as possible.
2. Check gas tank for any leaks and that it is properly hooked up and wait 5 minutes if the cover is closed and you turn the gas on so it dissipates.
3. When turning off, turn off gas first then the knob in front.
If you are in need of any fire cleanup and restoration give SERVPRO of Hayward a call at 715-634-0699.