Temperatures Dropping Cause Frozen Pipes
At SERVPRO of Hayward we are experts in water damage and cleanup. We are here when these winter storms fire up and temperatures cool way down if you experience frozen pipes that burst. Give us a call at (715)634-0699 if you are in need water cleanup when the storms hit.
In the meantime please follow some of these tips to avoid the frozen pipes:
- Let a faucet drip that has a supply pipe running along an outside wall. You do not need a strong flow, just enough to keep the water flowing. Flowing water freezes slower than standing water in a pipe.
- Do not turn your heat down during windy cold days. The cooling down period allows the cold to penetrate walls before it comes into your house. The pipes are exposed to this cold air. Hot water heat is more prone to freezing due to the hot water in the heating lines. Hot water will freeze faster than cold or room temperature water.
- Leave cabinet doors under sinks that face outside walls open. These areas are not generally heated but do receive the cold air coming in through walls. This will help prevent froze water supply and waste piping.
- Insulate walls where piping runs. Opening walls and checking is not always practical. However checking for insulation when walls are open for repairs or remodeling is a great idea.
- Keep garage doors closed when not going in or out. The cold air will freeze pipes exposed to garage walls. These walls are not always insulated as well as outside walls.
- Shut off water to outside faucets. Leaking outside faucets and piping to them are caused by freezing over the winter. We replace many outside faucets and piping in the spring due to freezing.
- Have a neighbor, relative or friend check on your house when you go out of town. Total house freeze ups that require major repair result from homes that the heat goes out and the house gets down below 32 degrees. All the plumbing freezes including toilets, faucets etc. This could amount to costs well over $10,000.00.