Grilling Summer Safety Tips
Warm spring days are upon us, and maybe you grill all year long or maybe you wait for these wonderful warm times of the year. Either way make sure you are following safety guidelines when firing up your grill so you can prevent a fire elsewhere. SERVPRO of Hayward wants you to have a safe summer!
Nearly 9,000 home fires a year involve grills, according to a National Fire Protection Association report. Of all the home fires involving grills, gas-fueled grills accounted for four out of five fires, while 16% involved charcoal or other solid-fueled grills.
A leak or break was the leading factor contributing to gas grill-related fires, according to the NFPA report.
- Check the gas cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose, which will quickly reveal escaping gas by releasing bubbles.
- If you smell or otherwise suspect a gas leak, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get a professional to service it before using it again. Call the fire department if the leak does not stop.
- If you smell gas while cooking, get away from the grill immediately and call the fire department. Do not attempt to move the grill.
- Never turn on the gas when the lid is closed. The gas may build up inside, and when ignited, the lid could blow off and cause injuries or burns.
- After cooking, make sure you completely close the valve on your gas grill.
- Always store gas grills – and propane tanks – outside and away from your house.
- The leading cause of structure fires from use of charcoal grills was leaving or placing an object that could burn too close to the grill, according to the NFPA study.
- Charcoal grills can continue to remain hot for many hours after the flames extinguish. Avoid placing any burnable objects near the grill or moving the grill while the coals are hot. Keep combustible items that may be blown by the wind away from the grill.
- Check for rust damage in metal grills, which may make it possible for charcoal to fall through onto surfaces below and cause a fire.
- Purchase the proper starter fluid. Store out of reach from children and away from heat sources.
- Do not add charcoal starter fluid when coals or kindling have already been ignited. Never use any other flammable or combustible liquid to get the fire started.
- If the fire is too low, rekindle with dry kindling and more charcoal if needed. Avoid adding liquid fuel because it can cause a flash fire.
- Do not leave the grill unattended.
- SERVPRO of Hayward is here to help and serve you in your time of need, give us a call at715-634-0699, if disaster strikes.
The Dangers of Mold
Not that rain has been an issue for us lately in Northern Wisconsin, but here at SERVPRO of Hayward we like to stay on top of things, and want to talk about if you have flooding and it isn’t properly mitigated it can cause some mold dangers. The lingering moisture from floodwater may elevate the risk of mold growth. SERVPRO of Hayward can properly remediate mold damage in your home. Or better yet if you get the flood waters removed and properly dried out by our professionals you can prevent this from happening. Mold can cause health problems, and if not properly taken care of can spread very quickly. Let our team at SERVPRO of Hayward help you out so your home or business isn’t put at risk and especially you or your loved ones. Give us a call at 715-634-0699.
Flood Cleanup Tips for Sawyer County
As the snow and ice has quickly melted, you may be standing in a flooded area. Here are a few tips from American Red Cross that can help you cleanup up after a flood. If the job is just too large, give the professional team at SERVPRO of Hayward a call at 715-634-0699.
- Wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and rubber boots, and be cautious when cleaning up.
- Learn more about how to clean up after a flood, including the supplies you’ll need, how to sanitize food contact surfaces, and how to repair water damage.
- Be careful when moving furnishings or debris, because they may be waterlogged and heavier.
- Throw out items that absorb water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected. This includes mattresses, carpeting, cosmetics, stuffed animals and baby toys.
- Throw out all food, beverages and medicine exposed to flood waters and mud. When in doubt, throw it out. This includes canned goods, plastic utensils, baby bottle nipples and containers with food or liquid that has been sealed shut.
- Pump out flooded basements gradually (about one-third of the water per day) to avoid structural damage. If the water is pumped out completely in a short period of time, pressure from water-saturated soil on the outside could cause basement walls to collapse.
- Service damaged septic tanks, cesspools, pits, and leaching systems as soon as possible. Damaged sewage systems are health hazards.
Are you covered in the Hayward Area?
Have you checked with your insurance provider lately to see what is covered by your policy if a tornado or storm hits?
In the US on average tornadoes cause $25 million in damage each year. If you’re in an at-risk area make sure you are properly covered before the storm hits.
If you do have storm damage we are here to help and are faster to any size disaster. At SERVPRO of Hayward, we offer 24 hours a day 7 days a week emergency services. Give us a call to see how we can "make it like it never even happened" at 715-634-0699.
If you own a business call us at 715-634-0699 to speak to our Marketing Representative to get an Emergency Readiness Profile set up for your place of business in case a disaster strikes. This plan will be very helpful for you and employees to get back to business with minimal downtime.
Burnett County are you "ready for whatever happens?"
Be “Ready for whatever happens” with the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Program!
Our Marketing Representative at SERVPRO of Hayward can help you get an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) put into place for your business to benefit customers, business, and family. In the event of an emergency a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut off valve locations, and priority areas. The ERP is accessible online using your computer or tablet. Give SERVPRO of Hayward a call at 715-634-0699 to set up an appointment to see how we can get your place of business “ready for whatever happens.”
Faster to your Polk County Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Hayward provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Hayward arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 715-634-0699
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Hayward
SERVPRO of Hayward specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew
Check Out our Certifications
Stress Free Professionals
Let us ease your stress in a stressful situation.
Did you know April is National Stress Awareness Month? Let us at SERVPRO of Hayward help take away some of that stress if you fall to a disaster of any size.
Our restoration team specializes in Fire & Water Cleanup and Restoration, along with Mold Remediation, and general cleaning.
Why call us first? Because we will make sure your cleanup is stress free from beginning to end, with a smooth easy process from our trained professionals. They will communicate the entire job from start to finish so you understand, and can deal with your insurance carrier as well to assure you are getting the best job done for you.
Give us a call at 715-634-0699 and we will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Hayward Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Hayward home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Hayward basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 715-634-0699
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Hayward and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 715-634-0699
Are you prepared in Sawyer County?
Get an emergency plan in place!
How quickly your company can get back to business after a tornado, fire, or flood often depends on the emergency planning done today! While each situation is unique the regular occurrence of natural disasters demonstrates the importance of being prepared.
Review the following questions to learn if your company is prepared.
-Do you know what you will do in a emergency situation or what kind of emergencies could affect your company?
-Do you know which staff, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep operating, do you have backup for those operations. What if your building isn't accessible, or if suppliers are impacted by a disaster? Or utility disruptions.
-Do you have an evacuation plan and shelter in place?
These are a few of the questions you should ask yourself as a business owner or manager.
Let our staff at SERVPRO of Hayward help you develop a plan ahead of time, so you are prepared when an emergency arises.
Give us a call at 715-634-0699 to see how we can get an emergency plan in place for you!
Does Your Spooner Home Have A Mold Problem?
In Spooner mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 715-634-0699.